As summer draws to a close, many of us are turning to our barbeques for one last celebration. Labor Day may mark the unofficial end of the season, but Washington Post writer David Hagedorn points out that it can also mean the beginning of a Meatless Monday tradition. So fire up the grill this week with some of our favorite outdoor dishes!
Writer, restaurateur and avid carnivore David Hagedorn is planning something unique for his Labor Day gathering- an entirely meatless meal. “This year, the chuck wagon will be replaced by a bandwagon pulling a load of vegetables.” The Washington Post columnist notes that this change of season is the perfect time to replace unsavory habits with a focus on health. Hagedorn knows that going meatless on Monday is not only a nutritious choice, but also a popular one:
“I’m as susceptible to peer pressure as the next person. More and more of my friends are going meatless on Mondays, and it is nearly impossible to pick up a magazine, turn on the TV or go online without hearing about the movement. So vegetarian it will be for Labor Day, and for Mondays thereafter.”
So join David Hagedorn and surprise your family and friends this Labor Day with a fantastic meatless dish straight from the grill! Here are five delicious ideas to get you started:
- Grilled Veggie Sandwich -These full-flavored sandwiches can be served for lunch or cut up for an impressive appetizer.
- Pineapple Mango Salsa- A sweet-yet smoky side, serve this salsa with baked pita chips or atop a bean burger or seasonal salad.
- Lentil Burgers- What would a BBQ be without a burger? Perfect for grilling, these hearty patties will certainly satisfy.
- Grilled Avocado with Salsa- This recipe is sure to be the life of the party! Avocados are placed right on the grill and beautifully presented with a salsa center.
- Sweet and Spicy Fruit Skewers- Your guests will be so taken by these creative kebabs they may even forget how healthy they are!