Makes 4 servings
Garbanzo beans give this antipasto salad the hearty flavor of southern Italy. It’s easy to toss together and makes a perfect al fresco lunch.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup black olives (pitted), drained and sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Optional garnish – 4 ounces thinly sliced veggie pepperoni or salami
Combine the chickeas, artichoke hearts, pepper slices, and olives in a large salad bowl. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl (or add everything to a jar and just shake to blend). Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to mix well. Add thinly sliced veggie pepperoni or salami as garnish if you like. Serve immediately.