This is a flavor combination most often seen in pie recipes, but you can have these fruit filled muffins for breakfast! This recipe was created by Deirdre Holmes, who writes the blog Plan It Healthier.
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large apple, finely chopped
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat bran, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Fold in the apples and three-quarters of the cheddar cheese. Reserve the remaining cheddar.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and yogurt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture into the well. Stir until just combined. Fold in the lemon juice, raisins, cranberries and walnuts.
Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with some of the reserved cheddar. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.