These apple cinnamon treats reinvent donuts the healthy way because the batter features nonfat yogurt and agave nectar in place of butter and sugar. Feel free to make them traditionally in a donut pan, or for a rustic approach, craft your own unique donuts on a baking sheet. This recipe comes to us from Cat of The Verdant Life.
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 flax egg
- 3/4 cup nonfat your favorite flavor yogurt
- 3/4 cup nonfat nondairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar*
* Agave nectar is similar in taste & texture to honey but has a lower impact on blood sugar when compared other sweeteners. Agave can be found in the health food or specialty food aisle of most grocery stores.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a donut pan or baking pan with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray.
Toss apples with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl and stir until thorough mixed.
Place the egg, yogurt, canola oil, lemon juice and agave nectar together in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Carefully add the egg yogurt mixture into the flour mixture. Gently fold in the wet ingredients until no dry spots remain. The batter should be light and airy.
If using a donut pan, divide the cinnamon sugar apples evenly amongst 6 donut cups. Divide the batter evenly the cups on top of the apple slices, pressing down and shaping a bit with your fingers. The donut cups should be full. Bake 9-10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Allow to cool 1 minute in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack.
If using a baking sheet, place the cinnamon sugar apples slices in 6 circular shapes on your baking pan. Divide the batter in rustic circles to top the apple slices, molding them with your hands to the donut shape. Bake for 7 minutes, flip, and bake 2-3 minutes more, or until the donuts are golden brown. Allow donuts to cool and enjoy.