Makes 4 servings
This hearty salad packs well and can be served at room temperature – or lightly chilled, straight from your picnic cooler. Feel free to use a spicy tomato-vegetable juice blend in the dressing if you’d like a bit more bite.
- 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup tomato-vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed well and drained
- 8 ounces fat free mozzarella cheese, cubed
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until tender (will take about 10 minutes) then drain well. Whisk together the tomato juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, basil, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the drained potatoes to the dressing and toss to coat well. Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, beans and mozzarella cheese then toss again. Ready to serve at room temperature or refrigerate to chill slightly.