This seasonal slaw is as refreshing as it is vibrantly colorful. Beets provide a wonderful sweetness to this side-dish, but feel free to replace them with any in-season squash or cooked root vegetable. This recipe comes to us from Mary of Extravegance.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (optional)
For the salad
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup scallions , thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup beets, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cucumbers, thinly sliced
- ½ cup squash, shredded
- salt, to taste
Prepare the lime juice, olive soil, salt and nut butter in a bowl and mix well.
Prepare and toss together the cabbage, scallions, kale, beets, cilantro, parsley, carrots, cucumbers and squash in another bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the veggies. Season with salt to taste.
Cover and let slaw sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge before eating.