Traditional hopping john gets a lightened-up, salsa-fied meatless makeover. It’s a sturdy summer salad perfect for beach picnics and barbecues. This makes 6-8 servings. The recipe comes from Ellen Kanner, The Edgy Veggie.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded raw collard greens, packed (about 1 dozen leaves)
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced ripe tomato (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions (about 3 scallions)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- a pinch of sea salt, or to taste
- dash of hot sauce, if desired
Rinse collard greens well and blot dry. Discard thick center stems and stack leaves for easy cutting. Roll leaves up and use a knife to shred collards into skinny ribbons. Alternately, remove stems and process leaves in a food processor.
Place chopped collards in a large bowl. Add grated lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil. Stir to combine. Let marinate while you dice tomatoes and chop scallions. Mix in with collards greens.
Add black beans, cumin, cilantro, and toss gently. Season to taste. Salad may be served at this point or covered and chilled until ready.