Makes 4-6 servings
Crunchy tortilla chips, hearty black beans and potatoes with chiles, garlic and a hint of lime along make this a real crowd-pleaser.
- 4 medium-large potatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoon light or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 4-ounce can mild diced green chiles
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas cut into short, narrow strips
Microwave the potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Set aside. Heat the oil in an extra-large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté until the onion is golden. Add the chiles, tomatoes, beans, and cumin. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, tortillas, and potatoes and cook briefly, just until heated through. Serve at once.