Imagine black beans and toasted almonds tossed with a honey-jalapeno-lime dressing served over arugula and finished with a bit of feta.
(this recipe comes courtesy of our friends at 101cookbooks)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 big handfuls baby arugula (or other salad greens), well washed and dried
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Start by making the dressing. We use an immersion blender – but a blender or food processor will work just as well. Combine the lime juice, vinegar, honey, jalapeno, salt, garlic and mustard and puree. Add the olive oil and puree until everything comes together. Taste and adjust with more salt, honey, or lime juice if needed. Set aside until you are ready to serve the salad.
Just before you are ready to serve the salad gently toss the arugula with a bit of the dressing. Arrange it on a platter. Now toss the beans and most of the almonds with a generous splash of the dressing. Arrange the beans on top of the arugula and finish by sprinkling with the remaining almonds and the crumbled feta cheese.
Serves 4 – 6.