Sweet carrots puree is seasoned with a tang of ginger and garnished with fresh herbs. Curl up with a bowl and let this soup warm you through winter. This recipe comes to us from Caroline Cummins of Culinate.
- 8-12 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- chives and/or cilantro leaves, freshly chopped, for garnish
Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook the carrots, onion, garlic and ginger for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat the stock in another large pot over medium heat. Add the stock to the vegetables and simmer and turn heat down to low. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are thoroughly softened.
Using an immersion blender, purée the soup in the stockpot until the soup has a nearly smooth texture, or remove soup and purée in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Dollop each serving with a bit of yogurt and sprinkle with the chopped chives and cilantro if desired. Serve immediately.