Curry is a flavorful, typically spicy dish which is prominent in South Asian cuisines. This version includes chickpeas, which add extra fiber and protein to an already healthy meal.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and
- coarsely chopped or 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups loosely chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins, soaked in warm water or brandy
- Mango chutney
Heat margarine in large skillet; sauté onion until golden. Add garlic and apple or tomato. Cook over low heat until apples are soft.
In small bowl, combine flour and curry powder; stir into onion mixture. Cook a few minutes to blend into thick, smooth paste. Gradually add vegetable stock chickpeas and spinach, stirring often over medium heat, cooking until curry is thick. Add light cream, salt and pepper to taste. Add raisins. Cook slightly longer to desired thickness.
Serve over hot cooked rice. Serve mango chutney on the side.