Makes 6-8 servings
A low-fat mocha cake! No, you haven’t died and gone to heaven, but you might think so. Nonfat yogurt and egg whites keep it low in cholesterol and saturated fat. Just be sure you splurge and use a really good quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (go for the best quality available)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (powdered instant coffee will do in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1-1/3 cups firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1 cup coffee-flavored nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of 9-inch-diameter cake pan with waxed paper. Spray the pan and paper with vegetable oil spray then dust with flour, tapping out the excess. Sift 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder and baking soda into medium bowl.
Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites, brown sugar, yogurt and vanilla together in large bowl about 1 minute until well blended. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan on a rack for at least 15 minutes, then run a thin knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake. Turn out onto a serving plate. Peel off the wax paper and let cool completely. Combine powdered sugar, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder in small bowl. Dust the top of the cake before serving.