Topped with cool coleslaw, these saucy sandwiches are a great way to try tempeh for the first time. Try it on a variety of whole wheat breads or multigrain seeded sandwich rolls. This recipe comes to us from our friends at myrecipes.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 pound organic tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium)
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns or rolls
To prepare the tempeh:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes, or until soft. Add tempeh and sauté 6 minutes, or until tempeh begins to brown.
Combine tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Add tomato mixture to tempeh and stir to combine.
Stir in 3 cups water. Simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes, or until mixture is thick and liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from heat, but cover to keep warm.
To prepare the coleslaw:
Combine mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons water, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add shredded cabbage and carrot, tossing well to combine.
To complete the tempeh joes:
Top each of 6 bottom halves of buns with about 3/4 cup tempeh filling. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup coleslaw, and cover with top half of each bun. Serve immediately.