Crunchy wild rice is tossed with red onion, cucumber and heirloom tomatoes in this warm weather salad. A dressing of lemon juice, fresh mint and olive oil will both refresh and pucker your palate. This recipe comes to us from Ana, Brianne and Michaela of Virtually Vegan Sisters.
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Cool the cooked rice by rinsing it with cold water if needed. Place the wild rice in a large bowl.
Add the onions, garlic, cucumber and tomatoes to the rice and toss to combine. Season with the mint and lemon juice and stir until mixed. Add the olive oil and toss until all ingredients are evenly distributed and well coated in dressing and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide into 8 portions and enjoy served either warm or cold.