Makes 6 servings
Nothing like the smell of waffles to get everyone out of bed. These freeze well for popping in the toaster on those rushed mornings.
- 1/2 a banana or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Preheat the waffle iron.
- Mash banana. Mix buttermilk, mashed banana (or applesauce), honey, egg and oil in medium bowl.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, corn, baking soda, baking powder.
- Mix well and blend with buttermilk mixture.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron according to manufacture directions.
- Bake 5 minutes or until waffle is golden brown.
- To freeze stack, separated by wax paper. Pack in freezer bags. To use, heat in toast oven or toaster.