A hearty breakfast but, unlike oatmeal, still cooling for summertime. The ginger gives the muesli a spicy twist, but if you don’t like the spice, feel free to make it your own by replacing the ginger with dried apricots, slivered almonds, fresh raspberries, or dark chocolate chips. This recipe comes to us from Neha of Park Slope, Brooklyn.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- (optional) 1 tablespoon whole milk or soy milk
Mix oats and apple juice together the night before eating. Let stand at least 3 hours, or overnight in the fridge.
The next morning, mix walnuts, cranberries, seeds, and ginger into the oat apple juice mixture.
Stir in milk to finish.
The recipe is infinitely customizable, and you can play with the proportions of the add-ins to your liking. Try chopped dried apricots and slivered almonds instead of the cranberries and walnuts; or dark chocolate chips and fresh raspberries for something more rich.