You’ll find no cream in the sauce, but it’s so smooth you’d never know it. Cucumber, green onions and radishes brighten this summer veggie spin on pasta with pesto. This recipe comes to us from Laura’s Real Good Food.
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to instructions on box.
Mix carrots, radishes, green onions, tomatoes, and cucumber together in a large bowl along with the chopped parsley and oregano.
Put the basil, pine nuts, and cheese in a food processor and pulse until mixed.
Add mustard, vinegar, about 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper to the basil pinenut cheese mixture.
While the food processor runs, add the olive oil until the pesto reaches a creamy consistency.
Taste pesto and adjust seasonings to taste.
When the pasta is done, drain and rinse under cold water.
Shake off extra water from the pasta and add to the bowl of vegetables. Stir in the pesto sauce, taste, and add any extra salt, pepper, parsley or oregano to your preference.