Savory lentils cooked with hearty veggies on mint-spiced brown rice. Throw everything in a slow-cooker in the morning and let the aromas of this lentil medley welcome you home. This recipe comes to us from Jen of Domestic Divas.
For the curried lentils:
- 2 cups lentils
- 8-10 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 6 small potatoes, quartered
- salt & pepper, to taste
For the mint rice:
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped, plus extra for garnishing
To prepare the curried lentils:
Place lentils, stock, curry powder, chili flakes, fresh ginger, onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker.
Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low, or until lentils are cooked and carrots and potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To prepare the mint rice:
In a large saucepan, combine the two cups of water, olive oil and the rice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to a low and cover. Cook for about 35-40 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes, covered. Toss rice with the mint.
To complete the dish:
Spoon some of the mint rice onto a plate and top with the lentils. Garnish with chopped mint on top and enjoy.