Miso and garlic-infused vegetable broth makes a tasty base for instant ramen noodles and fresh vegetables. No need for the sodium-heavy flavor packets. Tofu adds protein and texture and soaks up the flavor of the broth.
TIP: Note that you can make this recipe even healthier by choosing both reduced-fat tofu and reduced-fat ramen noodles.
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (12-ounce) package extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoon miso paste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 packages instant ramen noodles
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Combine water, vegetable broth, tofu, carrot, miso paste, soy sauce and garlic in a large pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli, snow peas and mushrooms; simmer for 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add ramen noodles (discard the seasoning packets!) and salt. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until noodles are done. Serve warm garnished with red pepper flakes.