Makes 12 servings
Want an easy low-fat breakfast that’s high in protein – and portability? Try these individual quiches that are baked in foil cupcake wrappers! They’re also the perfect finger food for you next luncheon.
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or 3/4 cup egg whites)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red or green peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- A pinch of salt and pepper, your favorite dried herbs or spices, or a dash of hot sauce for flavoring
Heat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups and spray the cups lightly with cooking spray. Thaw and drain spinach, then squeeze out the excess liquid. Mix everything – spinach, egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and whatever flavoring you like – in a bowl. Pour into the foil cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
A note on seasonings: you can go minimalist, with just a little salt and pepper. You can try a dash or two of hot sauce for more kick. Or, you can get savory with your favorite herbs and spices. (We like a bit of paprika and oregano.)