Enchiladas are a traditional cuisine of Mexico and South America. They ‘re typically made with chili pepper sauce and various fillings. Our version uses vegetarian chili, but there are many other options for meat-free enchilada fillings, including beans and tomatoes.
Makes 12 servings
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (12-ounce) can vegetarian chili
- 8 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- cooking spray
- 16 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Place tortillas in 1/2 inch of water container with lid. Cover and place in microwave for about 1 minute. You can steam tortillas if you prefer.
- Saute onion in cooking spray in skillet.
- Heat the chili.
- While chili is warming up grate cheese and place cheese on the end of the corn tortilla then roll tightly. Repeat with all 12 tortillas.
- Layer in 9×13 inch pan then pour chili on top. Top with cheese and chopped onion.
- Bake in oven for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For the sauce, combine tomato sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Mix and heat.