What is Food Day?
On Monday, October 24th 2011 individuals and organizations across the country will come together for Food Day; a celebration and rallying cry for healthy, affordable and sustainably produced food. Over 1,200 events of all shapes and sizes will be held throughout the U.S. at restaurants, hospitals, college campuses, parks and other community hubs. Food drives, cooking lessons, nutrition classes and discussion forums will spark immediate change, while Food Day itself serves as a reminder to consider the choices on our plate and set healthy goals.
Why Go Meatless Monday?
Meatless Monday is aligned with many of Food Day’s core principles, including the reduction of chronic disease, promotion of more sustainable meals, celebration of whole foods and the desire for all people to have access to healthy options. By starting a Meatless Monday on Food Day and sticking with it each week, you’re making an impact on many of the health and environmental issues that plague our food system.
The campaign’s popularity is a testament to how easy (and delicious!) it can be: there are related initiatives in 21 countries around the world and celebrity chefs, activists, restaurateurs and websites have all shown their support, including Food Day advisers Michael Pollan, Josh Viertel and Maria Rodale.
Food Day is the perfect opportunity to get the word out about Meatless Monday! Share meatless meals with your friends and family, get the other half of the U.S. through fun Food Day events or work to bring weekly Meatless Mondays to your community:
Make Food Day a Meatless Monday
- One of the simplest ways to celebrate is by having a healthy, home cooked Meatless Monday meal in your home. Get into the spirit of Food Day by selecting a recipe from the Eat Real Celebrity Cookbook (available for free download).
- Host a Meatless Monday potluck! This can be a small gathering of close friends, a neighborhood block party or an event at your local church or community center. Ask each guest to bring a healthful meatless dish (and copies of the recipe) as the price of admission.
- Gather friends for a meatless meal at your favorite sustainable restaurant. Check the Meatless Monday restaurant list or search the Eat Well Guide to find the perfect eatery in your area.
- Bring the movement to your community with the Meatless Monday pledge. Set up a table in front of your local grocery store, bank, post office or other community gathering point. Share information on the benefits of meatless meals and ask everyone to commit to one day a week.
- Be a Meatless Monday representative! Find a Food Day event in your community and discuss the movement with those in attendance. Bring along our informative brochure to share.
Check out the Food Day website for additional event ideas, including a campus action kit, K-12 lesson plans and promotional materials. Planning an event? Let us share your story! firstname.lastname@example.org.
THEN Go Meatless Every Monday!
- Get plugged into the Meatless Monday movement online! Join the discussion on our Facebook page, or gets tons of health news and delicious recipes by following us on Twitter. Spread the word by sharing our feeds or the official Meatless Monday video with your networks.
- Bring Meatless Monday to your college campus with the help of our College Action Kit.
- Advocate for Meatless Monday lunches at your child’s K-12 school, or in your local school district. Get started with the help of our K-12 Action Kit and the menu ideas on our bulk recipe page. Bring nutrition education into the classroom with the help of Food Day’s Curriculum.
- Start a Meatless Monday at your favorite restaurant. Simply share our Restaurant Action Kit with the chef or business owner. Spread the movement even further by creating a coalition of healthy Meatless Monday restaurants in your hometown!
- Have healthy meals at work by bringing Meatless Monday to your office. Share our brochure with your food service representative or health and wellness coordinator. Then get your coworkers on board with the Meatless Monday pledge, recipe swaps and fun events!