These hearty burgers are a great way to convince the family they won’t miss the beef when they cut back on saturated fat.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and mashed
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Mix all ingredients (except the cooking oil) together in a large bowl. Divide to form 6 burger-shaped patties. Fry in a lightly-oiled nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown on one side. Turn and brown the other side. Serve on whole wheat rolls with lettuce and tomato or your favorite condiments.
NOTE: Canned beans will also work well if you’re short on time. Just be sure to rinse well to remove excess salt.