Gazpacho is a raw, vegetable-based soup consisting mainly of tomatoes. Its a very popular dish during the summer months in Spain.
- 1/2 loaf day-old French baguette (bread crumbs also work)
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds large red, ripe tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 6 white or yellow onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Chop up bread into small pieces, and place in a large bowl. Add the cup of water. Add diced tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, and onions, and minced garlic. Pour in the olive oil, vinegar, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir well. Empty the contents of the bowl into the blender, and blend for a few seconds until you reach the desired thickness. For thicker gazpacho, use less water.
Place the blended gazpacho back in the bowl and chill for one hour before serving (or add ice cubes). You can garnish the bright cold soup with avocado cubes and diced red peppers.