This refreshing salad weaves together many of our favorite sharp flavors of the Mediterranean. This dish is easy to prepare and highly adaptable, feel free to substitute quinoa or brown rice for the earthy wheat berry. This recipe comes to us from Cathy of A Life Less Sweet.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups soft white wheat berries
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, fine chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
*If you don’t have white balsamic vinegar, substitute white wine vinegar.
Bring the water to a rapid boil in a large pot. Add the wheat berries and ½ teaspoon salt to the boiling water and cook uncovered for 30-50 min or until wheat berries have reached the desired tenderness. Drain in a colander.
Combine wheat berries, tomatoes, green onions, olives, basil and feta. Mix well.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, remaining salt and pepper. Whisk for about a minute to emulsify the dressing. Pour dressing over the wheat berry mixture and mix to coat the salad well. Serve and enjoy!