In many American homes the beginning of fall is heralded by a green tomato pie. Made with the fruits that were saved from the first frost, it is a delightful dessert.
- 4 or 5 really green tomatoes (2 1/2 cups coarsely grated)
- Pastry for an 8 -inch 2-crust pie
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Rind of l lemon, grated finely
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup minced candied ginger
Put tomatoes through a coarse grater or a food processor’s large shredder. Put in a colander and let drain overnight.
Prepare double pie crust. Line 8-inch pie pan with half. Roll out second half and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients with tomatoes. Place in pie shell and cover with top crust. Prick holes in crust. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40 minutes longer or until golden brown.