The perfect mock-meat centerpiece this season. Try this tofu and tempeh FoTurkey with a hearty mushroom gravy and side of fresh cranberries.
- 1 pound tempeh
- 12 ounces water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup yellow miso
- 3 Tb Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tb canola oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 Tb Holiday Herb Mix ( Recipe Below )
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the tempeh and tofu ( the mixture will appear crumbled ).
2. In a small bowl, stir the miso and mustard to blend. Set the tempeh mixture and miso mixture aside.
3. Heat the 1/4 cup oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for 8 minutes, or until translucent.
4. Stir in the herb mix, salt, and pepper, then stir in the tempeh and miso mixture. Saute for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 F and brush 1 Tb of the oil over a heavy, rimmed baking sheet.
6. Use your hands to shape the tempeh mixture into eight patties, using about 3/4 cup for each; make oval patties that are 4 to 5 inches long, about 3 inches wide, and tapered at one end to resemble chicken breasts.
7. Arrange the patties on the prepared baking sheet and brush the remaining 1 Tb oil over the patties.
Prepared up to this point, the patties will keep for 2 days, covered and refrigerated.
8. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden and heated through.
Holiday Herb Mix
Makes 3 Tb
- 1 Tb and 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- A twist or two of freshly ground black pepper
Stir all the ingredients in a small bowl to blend.