Try this Hawaiian spin on an egg white frittata.
- 5 large onions, sliced thin and evenly
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 12 egg whites (3 per person)
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice
Caramelize onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil (see cooking hints below). Once onions are caramelized, remove from heat and place in a bowl or dish.
Use the same skillet, and heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. When oil is shimmering (but not smoking), sauté spinach until barely wilted. Add tomato sauce and season with pepper. Remove from heat.
Frittata (make each frittata individually): Whisk 3 egg whites in non-stick pan. When they start to coagulate, top with the cheese. Place pan under broiler (be sure the handle is heat resistant) until golden brown.
Serve on top of 3/4 cup cooked rice and 1/4 of the onions. Serve spinach on the side. Repeat until all four frittata are made.
3 hints to the sweetest caramelized onions:
1) Slice thin and even
2) Start in a large sauté pan; as onions shrink change to a smaller pan (prevents burning)
3) Keep onions moving (prevents burning)