Sandy Hill – Daytona Beach, FL
Description: Hearty meatless chili with an unusual ingredient.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup minced scallions
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tsp mild or hot chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 8 oz sweet potatoes, pared and cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 1 1/2 cup stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 8 oz drained cooked black beans
- 8 oz drained cooked red beans
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil; add scallions. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, four minutes, until softened. Add bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, five minutes, until pepper is softened. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander and oregano; stir to combine.
Add sweet potatoes and one cup water to vegetable mixture; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Stir in tomatoes, black and red beans and salt; return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender and mixture is thickened.
Divide chili evenly among four bowls; top each portion with 1 tbsp. sour cream.