Spice up your next egg dish or garbanzo bean burger with this homemade riff on the popular condiment. The addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves makes this tastier than any bottled variety.
(courtesy of Rhona at Iambic Cafe)
- 1 1/4 cups tomato paste (12 oz can)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and simmer together for about 40 minutes or until ketchup reaches desired thickness.
2. Taste and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate to allow for at least an hour to allow flavours to blend.
3. Makes 2 cups and can be frozen.