Whole-wheat orzo, spinach, potatoes and white beans are sure to keep you full in this hearty soup. Tomatoes and chile flakes add some spice while freshly grated parmesan finishes the dish on a salty note. This recipe was created by Jennifer Brody of Domestic Divas.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parmigiano reggiano for grating
Place the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the veggies are beginning to soften. Add the garlic and chili flakes and saute one minute more.
Add the tomatoes, stock, and white beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about twenty minutes.
Add the orzo and simmer in the soup for about ten more minutes, or until the orzo becomes tender. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until the spinach is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, ladle a generous portion of soup into a bowl. Top with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and fresh cracked pepper and enjoy!