Carrots, squash and bell peppers are roasted to bring out their natural sweetness then tossed with hearty whole wheat penne. This dinner is simple to prepare but the variety of veggies makes the flavors surprisingly complex.
This recipe comes to us from Adrienne of Holtsville, NY.
- a little non stick cooking spray, to prepare the baking sheets
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips
- 2 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 1 pounds whole wheat rotini or penne pasta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with aluminum sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
In a large roasting pan toss the carrots, zucchini, squash, onion and bell peppers with the olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 10 minutes, stir, and cook another 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender and the other veggies have begun to brown.
While vegetables are roasting bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
Cook pasta in the boiling water for about 8-10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain paste reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Toss the pasta with the mixed roasted veggies. Add enough reserve cooking liquid to moisten the paste and season with pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, serve onto 6 plates and enjoy.