Red bell pepper, celery and onions are sautéed in coconut milk to flavor the brown rice. Pineapple’s unique sweetness and a macadamia nut kick give this side dish a distinctly tropical twist. This recipe comes to us from Julieanna Hever, The Plant Based Dietitian.
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 3/4 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1.5 cups pineapple, chopped
- 3/4 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
Pour the light coconut milk to a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place chopped onion, carrots, celery and red pepper into the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
Place cooked brown rice in a large bowl. Add the coconut sauté, pineapple, macadamia nuts and teriyaki sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.