These delicious waffles are packed with nutrition – including fiber from whole wheat flour, protein and calcium from skim milk, and antioxidants from blueberries. This recipes makes 12 servings.
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/3 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, milk, lemon zest, oil, vanilla, and egg yolk in a medium bowl and beat well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to form batter.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Scoop 2/3 cup batter into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in 200 degree oven.
- To make the blueberry topping, combine half the blueberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Stir in remaining blueberries. Continue cooking another 3-4 minutes until blueberries are warmed through and serve over hot waffles.