A mushroom sandwich for barbecue lovers that can be made year round on the stove. Top it with some coleslaw for ultimate picnic nostalgia.This recipe comes to us from Lindsay of Cooking for a Vegan Lover.
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 sandwich buns
- coleslaw (optional)
Heat the oil in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the mushrooms and onions have caramelized, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, mix together the steak sauce, bbq sauce and dijion mustard.
When the mushrooms and onions have caramelized add the steak sauce mixture and stir together.
Place 1/4 of the mushrooms on a bun and top with your favorite slaw, if desired.