This Valentine’s day cozy up with the ones you love and a big bowl of quinoa chili. The spices will warm you up while the whole grain quinoa keeps your heart healthy. This recipe comes to us from Lindsay of Cooking for a Vegan Lover.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed*
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast**
- 1 15oz can of your favorite beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
*Quinoa is a heart-healthy grain as well as a complete protein. It can be found in the grain section of most grocery stores. Feel free to substitute brown rice if you can’t find quinoa, but for best results the hearty quinoa will keep its shape in the sauce.
**Optional. Found in health food stores.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Season with the chili powder, cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.
Add the vegetable broth and the quinoa. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beans, cocoa powder, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up to high, bring back up to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 20-30minutes, or until the quinoa has finished cooking. While quinoa is cooking, stir occasionally so that the chili does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Serve and enjoy!