You’ll never guess this pasta dish is made without dairy; the ultra-smooth blend of tofu, lemon juice, honey, dill and smoked paprika create a velvety sauce, with only a fraction of the fat in traditional cream sauce. If you can’t find dried porcini mushrooms, substitute any dried mushroom. This recipe comes to us from Lindsay Ingalls of Running with Tongs.
For the tofu “cream” sauce:
- 1 package (8 ounces) extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the porcini pasta:
- 1 box (16 ounces) parpardelle or large rigatoni pasta
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ume plum vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast*
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
*Optional. Found in health food stores or the health food section of some grocery stores.
To make the tofu “cream” sauce:
In a blender or food processor, combine the tofu, olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, agave or honey, salt, dill and smoked paprika. Process until smooth.
To complete the Creamy Porcini Pasta:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, soak the dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl of hot water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions have softened.
Add the sliced button mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are softened.
Stir in the Dijon mustard, vegetable broth and soaked porcini mushrooms. Stir in the tofu “cream” sauce and cook 1 minute, or until heated through.
Season with vinegar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and nutritional yeast, if using. Taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper if desired.
Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, stirring to coat well
This Recipe's Ingredients:Garlic, Honey, Mushrooms, Pasta, Red Onion, Red Pepper, Tofu, White Onion
Creamy Porcini Pasta
Servings per Recipe:Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat: 93
Total Fat: 10.4g
Saturated Fat: 1.9g
Dietary Fiber: 6.5g
The FDA recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.