Makes 8 servings
This rich vegetable stew is extra special when made with fresh grilled corn and homemade corn stock. But if you’re in a hurry, it can work equally well with a good quality vegetable stock and frozen corn kernels.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups diced red onion (3/4-inch dice)
- 2 cups diced jewel yams (3/4-inch dice)
- 1 cup diced turnip (3/4-inch dice)
- 1 1/2 cup diced green pepper (3/4-inch dice)
- 2 cups diced sweet red bell pepper (3/4-inch dice)
- 1 cup diced zucchini (3/4-inch dice)
- 1 cup diced yellow squash (3/4-inch dice)
- 1-1/2 cups shitaki or oyster mushrooms (3/4-inch dice)
- 1-1/2 cups small button mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cup diced carrots (3/4-inch dice)
- 8 cups corn stock
- 2 cups fresh grilled corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons dried sage, ground
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, whole leaf
Lightly coat the corn with a non-stick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Grill until corn begins to char slightly. Cut the kernels from the cob and reserve. Take the leftover corn cobs, cut in half and place them in a stock pot with 12 cups of water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and simmer for 2 hours. Strain the corn stock and reserve.
While the corn stock is cooking, dice all the vegetables. Heat a large soup or stock pot over a medium high flame adding the olive oil. Once the oil is heated add the jewel yams, turnips, carrots, red onion and minced garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, thyme, sage, ground black pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes stirring often. Add 7 cups of the corn stock reserving one cup. Bring the stew to a boil, while the stew is cooking mix the corn starch and last cup of corn stock together. Once the stew is boiling slowly add the corn starch mixture. Reduce heat to a low simmer add the reserved corn and cook another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as need with salt and pepper.
This Recipe's Ingredients:Carrot, Corn, Green Pepper, Mushrooms, Red Onion, Red Pepper, Squash, Sweet Potato, Yellow Pepper, Zucchini
Hopi Vegetable Stew
Servings per Recipe: 8Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat:
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Dietary Fiber: 11g
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most American adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.