The vegetables can be assembled in advance and refrigerated overnight in the zip-top plastic bag. Preheat the broiler for the cheese toasts while you sauté the vegetables and you’ll save even more time. This recipe comes to us from our friends at myrecipes.com.
4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) diagonally cut zucchini
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney*
- 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- 4 (2-ounce) slices diagonally cut French bread
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Muenster cheese, cut into 1/8-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup gourmet salad greens
*optional. Available in Indian restaurants and groceries.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper, 1 teaspoon vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil; seal and shake well to coat. Let stand 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
Heat remaining 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add vegetable mixture, and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
Combine chutney and mayonnaise. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until lightly toasted on each side; remove from heat. Spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon chutney mixture; top evenly with cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Place 1 cheese toast on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup greens and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture.
Jerk Spiced Veggie-wich
Servings per Recipe:Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat:
Total Fat: 10.1g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8g
The FDA recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.