A savory blend of rice, nuts, herbs, and vegetables fill hollowed-out bell peppers in this great meatless entree.
- 2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons uncooked white rice
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 6 ounces firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large bell peppers (green, red or orange!)
- 1/2 8-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine or cooking sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and 1 garlic clove until onions are translucent. Add rice and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, cover and cook until rice is done, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine tofu, parsley, mushrooms, eggs, bread crumbs, walnuts, soy sauce, paprika, and cooked rice. Slice the tops off of the peppers; save tops. Core peppers and stuff with tofu mixture. Replace tops on peppers.
In a shallow baking dish combine tomatoes, wine, tomato paste and remaining garlic clove. Place peppers in dish and cover. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
This Recipe's Ingredients:Green Pepper, Mushrooms, Orange Pepper, Red Onion, Red Pepper, Rice, Tofu, Tomato, White Onion
Meatless Stuffed Peppers
Servings per Recipe:Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat:
Total Fat: 20g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Dietary Fiber: 7g
The FDA recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.