Candy McMenamin – Lexington, SC
Description: This is a spicy chili made with eggplant and cannellini beans.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 16-oz can low-salt stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 4.25-oz can chopped black olives, drained
- 1 8-oz can low-salt tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp dark molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 19-oz cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), undrained
- Garnish: Sour cream and sliced black olives, if desired
In a Dutch oven, sauté onions, red peppers, and eggplants over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except cannellini beans. Mix well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
After 1 hour, stir in cannellini beans. Cover and continue cooking 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with sliced olives sprinkled on top, if desired.
Red Pepper Eggplant Chili
Servings per Recipe:Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat:
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Dietary Fiber: 16g
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most American adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.