Hearty kale is topped with sweet strawberries for a refreshing contrast. A basil shallot vinaigrette tenderizes the kale while almonds add a nutty crunch. This recipe comes to us from Sarah and Lydia of Apples and Onions in LA.
For the basil vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 basil
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
To complete the Strawberry Kale Salad with Almonds:
- 1 bunch kale, cleaned and cut into chiffonade
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
To make the basil vinaigrette:
Place the shallot, red wine vinegar, pepper, salt, basil and mayonnaise together in a food processor or blender. With the blender or food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until the dressing is emulsified.
To complete the Strawberry Spinach Salad with Almonds:
Toss the kale with the basil vinaigrette. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, or until the kale begins to become tender.
Divide the salad into 6 servings and top with berries, almonds and sliced basil. Enjoy!
Strawberry Kale Salad with Almonds
Servings per Recipe:Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat: 144
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9g
The FDA recommends 2000 calories a day as a reasonable average guideline for most adults. Click here to learn how you can use the Monday 2000 to reset the calorie budget you have to spend each day. For specific calorie recommendations based on your age, metabolism and medical history, consult your doctor or nutritionist.