Candy McMenamin – Lexington, SC
Description: This is a spicy chili made with eggplant and cannellini beans.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 16-oz can low-salt stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 4.25-oz can chopped black olives, drained
- 1 8-oz can low-salt tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp dark molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 19-oz cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), undrained
- Garnish: Sour cream and sliced black olives, if desired
In a Dutch oven, sauté onions, red peppers, and eggplants over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except cannellini beans. Mix well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
After 1 hour, stir in cannellini beans. Cover and continue cooking 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with sliced olives sprinkled on top, if desired.