Red and yellow cherry tomatoes are roasted spicy-sweet with garlic, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes. Fresh oregano, parsley and basil brighten the roasted cherry tomatoes and hearty whole wheat rotini, while toasted pine nuts give this dish a rich finish. This recipe comes to us from Valerie of More Than Burnt Toast.
- 1 pound red cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound yellow cherry tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces low fat ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- pecorino cheese*, to taste
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Place a large pot of salted water on the stove over medium-high heat.
Place the tomatoes inside a large baking dish. Toss the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and toss with the basil, parsley and oregano.
When the water boils, cook the rotini according to package directions, or until the pasta is al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Toss the pasta with the olive oil, add the tomatoes with their juices and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pasta and tomatoes are heated through.
Add the ricotta cheese and cook, stirring for about 1 minute, or until the ricotta melts. Remove from heat, divide into 6 portions, sprinkle with pine nuts and pecorino cheese, if using, and enjoy!