Makes 4 servings A Mediterranean-style sandwich that’s perfect for a special lunch.
- 1/2 pound mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 baguette (24 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup homemade or purchased tapenade
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed, rinsed and separated into individual sprigs
- Kosher salt
- Roasted red peppers (optional)
Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Place mushrooms in a baking pan and drizzle the oil over them. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and shake the mushrooms around to coat them evenly. Roast in the oven until mushrooms are soft and edges have browned (10-12 minutes). Remove from the oven and let cool. Cut the baguette in half lengthwise and spread tapenade on each half (see recipe below if you want to make your own). Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the one of the bread halves then place mushrooms over the cheese, and then lay watercress on top of the mushrooms. Optionally, add strips of roasted red pepper. Top with the other bread half, then cut the loaf into quarters to make 4 hearty sandwiches. Wrap or eat right away.