Zucchini, eggplant, carrots, cheery tomatoes and garlic are seasoned with red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning, then roasted in the oven. Roasting gives the tomatoes, carrots and garlic a sweet softness, contrasting beautifully with hearty whole wheat pasta, salty parmesan and fresh flat leaf parsley. This recipe comes to us from Johanna of Momma Cuisine.
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 1 Chinese eggplant, halved and sliced
1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghettini or angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
Place the sliced zucchini, squash, eggplant, carrots, onion, cherry tomatoes and garlic into a large baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and mix to ensure the olive oil coats all the veggies. Season with the salt, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning, tossing to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
Put the baking dish in the oven and roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes, or until fragrant and tender when poked with a fork.
When the water boils, cook the spaghettini according to package instructions, or until al dente. Drain, set aside in a serving bowl and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta. Season with the parmesan cheese and flat leaf parlsey, tossing to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed. Divide into 6 portions and enjoy!