Fennel’s powerful anise flavor is balanced by crisp apple matchsticks in this refreshing salad. A dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and crushed chili flakes can be easily adapted to include your favorite fresh herb, or spice it up to please all palates by providing a choice of parsley, mint and tarragon at the table. This recipe comes to us from Basia of Mediterraneanista.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline or sliced thin
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl.
Place the apple matchsticks and sliced fennel in a large bowl. Toss with the chopped parsley, mint or tarragon.
Coat the salad with the lemon dressing to taste and enjoy!