Both kidney and black beans are seasoned with cumin, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon and cocoa in this deceptively simple chili. Corn brings a slight crunch and fire roasted tomatoes allow for a subtly smoky flavor in this one pot wonder. This recipe comes to us from Jen of Domestic Divas.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- cilantro*, for garnish
- scallions*, for garnish
- radishes*, for garnish
Place the onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and pepper together in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
Add the tomatoes with their liquid, beans, frozen corn and 1 cup water to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the onions are tender and the chili has thickened.
Divide into 6 portions, garnish with cilantro, scallions and radishes