Makes 4 servings
This fast-cooking breakfast can be made all in one skillet.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup enriched, quick-cooking hominy grits
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- 1-1/2 cups liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In large skillet, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and reduce heat. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in oil. Combine 1/4 cup cheese with remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into grits and stir lightly. Add eggs and cook over medium heat until eggs are soft set and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. If you like, top with chopped tomatoes, salsa or tomato sauce.
TIP: Once the and egg are combined, do not over mix – or the eggs will become dry and appear curdled.