This recipe comes to us from reader Nancy Golden. It’s a hearty, aromatic ragout that will warm you up with an exotic blend of spices.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 canned tomatoes packed in tomato juice (reserve the tomato juice)
- 3 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parley
Directions: In a large, heavy skillet, warm the olive oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, breaking them into pieces with the spatula.
Add 1/2 cup of the reserved tomato juice along with the remaining spices. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes; add the chickpeas. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. If the mixture gets too thick, add more tomato juice. Add the parsley and toss. Serve with rice.